June 4, 2010
Steve Bauer moved into the Garden Home area in 1994. He purchased a home in what is commonly called the Skyhar area although it was originally called the Lingerwood development. He purchased the property from Ed and Janice Hamilton of the Hamilton Fur company. Steve hosted a Halloween Haunted House at his home for several years. The property has about two dozen trees including an apple and a pear.
This area is entered going west off of Oleson on either Skyhar Drive or O’Brien street. The area consists of 28 lots of “single family attached homes” and several unattached homes. A Sunday Oregonian article of Nov. 23, 1980 states that “Such homes mesh nicely with trends toward smaller families (needing less living space), higher housing density in urban and near-urban areas and the push to keep housing affordable by cutting down on controllable costs, such as land.”
This area is generally part of the Marugg dairy farm that was active in the 1940s and 50s. Garden Home Park is just west of the area. It is not known how the Park was first developed. Early residents fondly recall the Marugg dairy. Their children enjoyed playing in the Marugg barn and about on the farm.
In 1980, Jack Steiger’s real estate brokerage handled the sales at Lingerwood. There is no common area and no monthly maintenance fees. The homes and land are wholly owned by the residents. Lot sizes ranged from 3,700 to 5000 square feet and sold generally for around $72,000. The previously common area near the entrance to Garden Home Park has been deeded to Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District.
Mr. and Mrs. William Skyhar lived in the 8607 S.W. Oleson Road house which currently is 8000 SW Skyhar Drive. (Daily Journal of Commerce, August 12, 1955) This house was built in 1955 as detailed in The Valley News article. Steve Bauer now owns the home. Bill and Genevieve Skyhar converted the barn to the Crown Machine Works (photo).
Photos, plot map courtesy Steve Bauer, interview with Steve Bauer conducted June 4, 2010 by Elaine Shreve